Vancouver/Victoria/Calgary AUDITION POSTING
Open Pit Theatre is now accepting actor submissions for the premiere production of Busted Up: A Yukon Story. The production is a part of Canada’s 150th anniversary celebrations and will take place in Whitehorse, YT in September 2017.
Busted Up: A Yukon Story is a verbatim play set in Canada's far north, and features over twenty real life Yukon characters whose opinions and stories are as varied as their age and ethnic backgrounds. Throughout the play, the juxtaposed voices of these people gather and evolve around the relationships between aboriginal people and settlers, natural resource extractions, the growing immigrant population and the fast paced changes Canada's north is experiencing. The result is a powerful play full of humor, violence, absurdity, and tenderness.
- Contract dates: August 15th - September 24th, 2017
- Possible one-week extension: September 25th - October 1, 2017
We will be holding auditions in Vancouver, Victoria, and Calgary to find six actors to perform over twenty characters. We encourage actors of Indigenous backgrounds, and those who self-identify as members of underrepresented communities to apply. Our characters represent a large span in ages, therefore we also encourage actors of all ages to apply.
Open Pit Theatre’s aesthetic is very physical, and therefore all actors must be comfortable experimenting and using movement as a means of storytelling. This does not mean that you need to be a trained dancer. We are seeking actors who are open to physical contact with other performers, and those who can handle a physically demanding rehearsal process. All performers will play up to six different characters.
- Deadline to submit = Monday, April 10 - 5:00pm
- Audition Day = Saturday April 15
- Callbacks = Sunday, April 16
- Audition Location = Carousel Theatre
- Deadline to submit = Monday, April 17 - 5:00pm
- Audition & Callback Day = Sunday, April 23
- Audition & Callback Location = Metro Theatre
- Deadline to submit = Monday, April 24 - 5:00pm
- Audition Day = Saturday April 29
- Callbacks = Sunday, April 30
- Audition Location = Lunchbox Theatre
The auditions will be held by co-director Jessica Hickman and will be comprised of a 15-minute individual audition, followed by a 45-minute group movement audition.
- Please submit a resume and a recent photograph via email to Selene Vakharia (project producer) at email@example.com. Please indicate your audition city and name in the subject line of your email. For example: VANCOUVER SUBMISSION - Jane Doe.
- Equity and non-Equity artists are encouraged to submit. We will be engaging all Equity artists under the D.O.T policy agreement.
Thank you to all who submit, however only those selected will be invited to audition at this time.
Important Note: We are not accepting video submissions at this time.